Name / Position
SAWADA, Yasuyuki / Professor
|1999||PhD in Economics, Stanford University|
|1996||MA in International Development Policy (Food Research), Stanford University|
|1994||MA in International Relations, University of Tokyo|
|1992||MA in Economics, Osaka University|
|1990||BA in Economics, Keio University|
|2021||Professor, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo|
|2017||Chief Economist and Director General, Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department (ERCD), Asian Development Bank|
|2012||Professor, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo|
|2001||Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo|
|1999||Associate Professor, Department of International and Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Tokyo|
Research FieldDevelopment Economics, International Economics, Empirical Microeconomics, Asian Economy
Research ThemeI am working on the following three issues: First, socio-economic impact assessments of disasters triggered by natural hazards and human activities; second, empirical studies and policy evaluation using micro data, field experimental data, and big data from developing countries; and third, macro-empirical investigations of mechanisms behind phenomenal development success of the Asian economies.
Journal Special Issues Co-Edited
- Special Issue “The Climate Change Challenge to Asia's Development,” Asian Development Review 35(2), September 2018.
- Special Section “Natural Disaster, Poverty, and Development,” World Development 94, June 2017.
- Special Issue “Conference on Economics of Ageing in Japan and Other Societies,” Japanese Economic Review 67(2), June 2016.
- Takuma Kunieda, Keisuke Okada, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Akihisa Shibata (2021). “On the Two Catching-Up Mechanisms in Asian Development.” Asian Development Review 38(2), pp. 31-57.
- Matsuyama Y, Fujiwara T, Sawada Y, Yagi J, Mashiko H, Kawachi I, et al. (2020) Delay discounting in children exposed to disaster. PLoS ONE 15(12): e0243994.
- Myoung-jae Lee & Yasuyuki Sawada (2020). “Review on Difference in Differences,” Korean Economic Review 36, 135-173 (downloadable for free).
- Yuki Higuchi, Nobuhiko Fuwa, Kei Kajisa, Takahiro Sato, and Yasuyuki Sawada (2019). “Disaster Aid Targeting and Self-Reporting Bias: Natural Experimental Evidence from the Philippines,” Sustainability 11(3), 771, 1-13.
- Yasuyuki Sawada, Hiroyuki Nakata, and Mari Tanaka (2019), “Short and Long Recall Errors in Retrospective Household Surveys: Evidence from a Developing Country,” Journal of Development Studies 55(10), 2232-2253.
- Yasuyuki Sawada and Yoshito Takasaki (2017) “Natural Disaster, Poverty, and Development (editorial),” World Development 94, p.1.
- Yasuyuki Sawada and Yoshito Takasaki. (2017) “Natural Disaster, Poverty, and Development: An Introduction (for special section “Natural Disaster, Poverty, and Development),” World Development 94, pp. 2–15.
- Yoko Sakai, Jonna P. Estudillo, Nobuhiko Fuwa, Yuki Higuchi, and Yasuyuki Sawada (2017). “Do Natural Disasters Affect the Poor Disproportionately? Price Changes and Welfare Impact in the Aftermath of Typhoon Milenyo in the Rural Philippines.” World Development, pp. 16–26, 2017.
- Yasuyuki Sawada, Hiroyuki Nakata, and Tomoaki Kotera (2017). “Self-Production, Friction, and Risk Sharing against Disasters: Evidence from a Developing Country.” World Development, pp. 27–37.
- Hiroyuki Hikichi, Yasuyuki Sawada, Toru Tsuboya, Jun Aida, Katsunori Kondo, Shihoko Koyama, and Ichiro Kawachi (2017). “Residential relocation and change in social capital: A natural experiment from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami.” Science Advances vol. 3 no. 7, e1700426.
- William duPont IV, Ilan Noy, Yoko Okuyama, and Yasuyuki Sawada (2015) “The Long-Run Socio-Economic Consequences of a Large Disaster: The 1995 Earthquake in Kobe,” PLoS ONE October 1, 2015.
- Yun Jeong Choi & Joe Chen & Yasuyuki Sawada (2015) “Life Insurance and Suicide: Asymmetric Information Revisited,” B. E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (Contributions), 2015.
- Esteban Pretel, Julen, and Yasuyuki Sawada (2014) “On the Role of Policy Interventions in Structural Change and Economic Development: The Case of Postwar Japan,” Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 40(C), pages 67-83, 2014.
- Yasuyuki Sawada, Masahiro Shoji, Shinya Sugawara and Naoko Shinkai (2014). “The Role of Infrastructure in Mitigating Poverty Dynamics: The Case of an Irrigation Project in Sri Lanka,” B. E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (Topics) Volume 14, Issue 3. Pages 1117-1144.
- Emmanuel Jimenez and Yasuyuki Sawada (2014). ‘Does Community Management Help Keep Children in Schools? Evidence from El Salvador’s Panel Data,” Economic Development and Cultural Change 62(2), 307-338.
- Hiroyuki Yamada, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Xubei Luo (2013). “Why is Absenteeism Low among Public Health Workers in Lao PDR?” Journal of Development Studies 49(1), 125-133, 2013.
- Kamal Lamichhane and Yasuyuki Sawada (2013). “Disability and Returns to Education in a Developing Country,” Economics of Education Review 37, 85-94.
- Sonali Senaratna Sellamuttu, Takeshi Aida, Ryuji Kasahara, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Deeptha Wijerathna (2014), “How Access to Irrigation Influences Poverty and Livelihoods: A Case Study from Sri Lanka,” Journal of Development Studies 50(5), 2014, Pages 748-768.
- Hidemi Kimura, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Yuko Mori (2012). “Aid Proliferation and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis,” World Development Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 1–10, 2012 (the lead article of the volume).
- Joe Chen, Yun Jeong Choi, Kohta Mori, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Saki Sugano (2012) “Socio-Economic Studies on Suicide: A Survey,” Journal of Economic Surveys 26(2): 271–306.
- Masahiro Shoji, Keitaro Aoyagi, Ryuji Kasahara, Mika Ueyama, and Yasuyuki Sawada (2012) “Social Capital Formation and Credit Access: Evidence from Sri Lanka” World Development 40(12), December 2012, Pages 2522–2536.
- Aminur Rahman and Yasuyuki Sawada (2012). “Can Donor Coordination Solve the Aid Proliferation Problem?” Economics Letters 116(3), Pages 609–612.
- Charity Gay E. Ramos, Jonna P. Estudillo, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Keijiro Otsuka (2012) “Transformation of the Rural Economy in the Philippines,1988-2006,” Journal of Development Studies Volume 48(11), 1629-1648.
- Yasuyuki Sawada, Kazumitsu Nawata, Masako Ii, and Mark J. Lee (2011). “Did the Financial Crisis in Japan Affect Household Welfare Seriously?” Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking 43(2-3), 297-324, 2011.
- Jeong-Joon Lee and Yasuyuki Sawada (2010). “Precautionary Saving under Liquidity Constraints: Evidence from Rural Pakistan,” Journal of Development Economics 91(1), 77-86.
- Joe Chen, Yun Jeong Choi, and Yasuyuki Sawada (2010). “Joint Liability Borrowing and Suicide”, Economics Letters 109 (2), 69-71.
- Kang Sun Jing and Yasuyuki Sawada (2009) “Did Public Transfers Crowd Out Private Transfers in Korea duing the Financial Crisis?” Journal of Development Studies 45(2), 276-294.
- Yasuyuki Sawada and Michael Lokshin (2009). “Obstacles to School Progression in Rural Pakistan: An Analysis of Gender and Sibling Rivalry Using Field Survey Data,” Journal of Development Economics 88(2), 335-347.
- Jonna P. Estudillo, Yasuyuki Sawada, Keijiro Otsuka (2009). “The Changing Determinants of Schooling Investments and Overseas Migration: Evidence from Villages in the Philippines, 1985-1989 and 2000-2004,” Journal of Development Studies 45(3), 2009, 391-411.
- Yasuyuki Sawada and Satoshi Shimizutani (2008). “How Do People Cope With Natural Disasters? Evidence from the Great Hanshin-Awaji (Kobe) Earthquake,” Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking 40 (2-3), 463-488, 2008.
- Sung Jin Kang and Yasuyuki Sawada (2008). “Credit Crunch and Household Welfare: The Case of the Korean Financial Crisis,” Japanese Economic Review 59(4), 438-458.
- Yasuyuki Sawada (2007). “The Impact of Natural and Manmade Disasters on Household Welfare,” Agricultural Economics 37 (s1), 59-73, 2007.
- Jeong-Joon Lee and Yasuyuki Sawada (2007). “The Degree of Precautionary Saving: Re-examination,” Economics Letters 96 (2), 196-201.
- John E Akoten, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Keijiro Otsuka, Keijiro (2006). “The Determinants of Credit Access and Its Impacts on Micro and Small Enterprises: The Case of Garment Producers in Kenya,” Economic Development and Cultural Change 54 (4), 927-944.
- Yasuyuki Sawada (2001). “Secondary Market Efficiency of LDC Bank Loans and International Private Lending, 1985-1993,” Journal of International Money and Finance 20, 549-562.
- Emmanuel Jimenez and Yasuyuki Sawada (2001). “Public for Private: The Relationship between Public and Private School Enrollment in the Philippines,” Economics of Education Review 20, 389-399.
- Emmanuel Jimenez and Yasuyuki Sawada (1999). “Do Community Managed Schools Work?: An Evaluation of El Salvador’s EDUCO Program,” World Bank Economic Review 13 (3), 415-441.
- Yasuyuki Sawada (1994). “Are the Heavily Indebted Countries Solvent? Tests of Intertemporal Borrowing Constraints,” Journal of Development Economics 45, 325-337.
Books and Monographs
- Bambang Susantono, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Cyn-Young Park, eds. (2020) Navigating COVID-19 in Asia and the Pacific, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Yasuyuki Sawada, Minhaj Mahmud, and Naohiro Kitano, eds. (2018) Economic and Social Development of Bangladesh: Miracle and Challenges, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Yasuyuki Sawada, Michiko Ueda, and Tetsuya Matsubayashi (2017) Economic Analysis of Suicide Prevention: Towards Evidence-Based Policy-making, Springer.
- Daniel P. Aldrich, Sothea Oum, and Yasuyuki Sawada, eds. (2015) Resilience and Recovery in Asian Disasters: Community Ties, Market Mechanisms, and Governance, Series: Risk, Governance and Society Vol. 18, Springer.
- Yasuyuki Sawada and Sothea Oum, eds. (2015), Disaster Risks, Social Preferences, and Policy Effects: Field Experiments in Selected ASEAN and East Asian Countries’, ERIA Research Project Report FY2013, No.34.Jakarta: ERIA.
- Akihiko Matsui, Osamu Nagase, Alison Sheldon, Dan Goodley, Yasuyuki Sawada, and Satoshi Kawashima, eds. (2011). Creating a Society for All: Disability and Economy, the Disability Press, Leeds, United Kingdom.
- Keijiro Otsuka, Jonna P. Estudillo, and Yasuyuki Sawada, eds. (2009) Rural Poverty and Income Dynamics in Asia and Africa, Routledge.
- John Haltiwanger, Marilyn E. Manser, and Robert Topel eds. (1998). Labor statistics measurement issues, Chicago: University of Chicago Press (A book review published in Journal of Asian Economics, 11, pp. 107-111, 2000)
Other Professional Activities and Awards
Other Professional Activities and Services
- American Economic Association
- Econometric Society (2009 FESAMES Program Committee member)
- Royal Economic Society
- Western Economic Association
- East Asian Economic Association (Editorial Board Member 2004 - )
- Japanese Economic Association（Japanese Economic Review Co-Editor, 2012-2018）
- Association of Behavioral Economics and Finance（Board Member for the 5th term）
- Japanese Association for Development Economics（Board Member 2019-）
- Japan Society of International Economics
- Japan Society for International Development (Board Member, 2008-2011）
- Nikkei Book Prize, 2013
- Japanese Economic Association Ishikawa Prize, 2011
- Japan Society of International Economics Kiyoshi Kojima Prize, 2010
- Jiro Enjoji Memorial Prize, 2009
- Masayoshi Ohira Memorial Prize, 2007
- Outstanding TA Award, Department of Economics, Stanford University, 1999