Name / Position
SATO, Yasuhiro / Professor
|2002||Ph.D., University of Tokyo|
|1996||B.A., University of Tokyo|
|2018-||Professor, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo|
|2016-2018||Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo|
|2008-2016||Associate Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Osaka University|
|2004-2008||Associate Professor, Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University|
|2001-2004||Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University|
|2000-2001||Assistant Professor, School of Informatics and Sciences, Nagoya University|
Urban Economics, Regional Economics
My field of research is urban and regional economics, focusing on migration between cities or regions, and fiscal externalities.
- Industrial structure in urban accounting, forthcoming in Regional Science and Urban Economics (2020). (with J. Oshiro)
- Assimilation patterns in cities, European Economic Review 129, 103563 (2020). (with Y. Zenou)
- Demographics and competition for capital in political economy, International Tax and Public Finance 27, 865-889 (2020). (with T. Morita and K. Yamamoto)
- Demographics, immigration, and market size, Japanese Economic Review 71, 597–639 (2020). (with K. Fukumura, K. Nagamachi, and K. Yamamoto)
- Illegal immigration, unemployment, and multiple destinations, Journal of Regional Science 59, 118-144 (2019). (with K. Miyagiwa)
- Spatial economic analysis on demographics, In: M. Ii, C. Hara, K. Hosono, and H. Matsushima (eds.) Trends in Modern Economics 2017, Chapter 5 (2017). (in Japanese)
- Multi-region job search with moving costs, Regional Science and Urban Economics 61, 114–129 (2016). (with K. Kawata and K. Nakajima)
- Who gains from capital market integration: Tax competition between unionized and non-unionized countries, Canadian Journal of Economics 49, 76-110 (2016). (with H. Ogawa and T. Tamai)
- Capital mobility－a resource curse or blessing? How, when, for whom? Journal of Public Economic Theory 18, 417-450 (2016). (with H. Ogawa and J. Oshiro)
- How urbanization affect employment and social interactions, European Economic Review 75, 131-155 (2015). (with Y. Zenou)
- Land development, search frictions, and city structure, Regional Science and Urban Economics 50,63-76 (2015). (with W. Xiao)
- A model of urban demography, Canadian Journal of Economics 47, 981-1009 (2014). (with H. Aiura)
- Free entry, regulatory competition, and globalization, Journal of Public Economics 118, 1-14 (2014). (with K. Miyagiwa)
- Horizontal mergers, firm heterogeneity, and R&D investments, The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 13, 959-990 (2013). (with N. Matsushima and K. Yamamoto)
- Trade impacts on skill acquisition via variety expansion, Japanese Economic Review 63, 451-466 (2012). (with K. Yamamoto)
- Market size and entrepreneurship, Journal of Economic Geography 12, 1139-1166 (2012). (with T. Tabuchi and K. Yamamoto)
- On-the-job search in urban areas, Regional Science and Urban Economics 42, 715-726 (2012). (with K. Kawata)
- Migration, skill formation, and the wage structure, Journal of Regional Science 51, 5-30 (2011). (with K. Behrens)
- On the impact of trade on the industrial structures of nations, International Journal of Economic Theory 7, 93-109 (2011). (with D. Oyama, T. Tabuchi and J.-F. Thisse)
- Capital tax competition and search unemployment, Papers in Regional Science 88, 749-764 (2009).
- International commodity taxation in the presence of unemployment, Journal of Public Economics 93, 939-949 (2009). (with S. Moriconi)
- OLS estimation and the t test revisited in rank-size rule regression, Journal of Regional Science 48, 691-716 (2008). (with Y. Nishiyama and S. Osada)
- Welfare properties of spatial competition with location dependent costs, Regional Science and Urban Economics 38, 32-48 (2008). (with H. Aiura)
- Technological progress, income inequality and fertility, Journal of Population Economics 21, 135-157 (2008). (with K. Tabata and K. Yamamoto)
- Competing for capital when labor is heterogeneous, European Economic Review 51, 2054-2079 (2007). (with J.-F. Thisse)
- Economic geography, fertility and migration, Journal of Urban Economics 61, 372-387 (2007).
- A note on unemployment and capital tax competition, Journal of Urban Economics 60, 350-356 (2006). (with H. Ogawa and T. Tamai)
- `Brain drain' without migration: Capital market integration and capital-skill complementarities, Economics Bulletin 18 No.1, 1-9 (2006). (with K. Behrens)
- Bargaining power of landlords and underdevelopment in a system of cities, Papers in Regional Science 84, 239-250, (2005).
- Population concentration, urbanization, and demographic transition, Journal of Urban Economics 58, 45-61, (2005).(with K. Yamamoto)
- Migration, frictional unemployment, and welfare improving labor policies, Journal of Regional Science 44, 773-793, (2004).
- City structure, search and workers' job acceptance behavior, Journal of Urban Economics 55, 350-370, (2004).
- On labor policies affecting investment in general human capital, Labour 17, 599-622, (2003). (with H. Sugiura)
- Labor heterogeneity in an urban labor market, Journal of Urban Economics 50, 313-337, (2001).
- Search theory and the wage curve, Economics Letters 66, 93-98, (2000).
- An analysis of a rental housing search in a city, JCER Economic Journal 41, 132-150, (2000). (in Japanese with English summary)
- Labor heterogeneity, agglomeration economies and regional labor markets, Kokumin-keizai 162, 1-20, (1999). (in Japanese)
Books and Monographs
- Introduction to Urban and Regional Economics, Yuhikaku (2014). (in Japanese)
- Spatial Economics, Yuhikaku (2011). (with T. Tabuchi and K. Yamamoto, in Japanese)
Other Professional Activities and Awards
Other Professional Activities and Services
- Associate Editor, Regional Science and Urban Economics
- Editorial Advisor, Papers in Regional Science
- Journal of Economic Geography, Best Referee Award, 2015.
- The JAAE award, Japan Association for Applied Economics, 2011.
- The Sakashita Prize, Applied Regional Science Conference, 2007.