Name / Position
ABE, Makoto / Professor
|4/04 - current||Professor, The University of Tokyo, Faculty of Economics|
|1/98 - 3/04||Associate Professor, The University of Tokyo, Faculty of Economics|
|7/84 - 8/91||Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Ph.D in Operations Research; Thesis: A marketing mix model developed from single source data:
A semiparametric approach (supervisor: J.D.C. Little)
|9/79 - 6/84||Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
SM and SB in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
|9/14 - 10/15||Visiting Professor
University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
|9/08 - 9/09||Visiting Professor
Yale University, New Haven, USA
|10/05 - 9/06||Visiting Scholar
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
|7/98 - 8/98||Visiting Associate Professor
The Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
|8/91 - 12/97||Assistant Professor
The University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Marketing
|9/86 - 8/91||Research Assistant
Sloan School of Management and Operations Research Center, MIT
Marketing Science, Consumer Behavior, Behavioral Economics
Analyzing various marketing phenomena using models at an individual level and deriving managerial implications that are useful to practioners. Macro statistics of firms, such as sales and market share, result from aggregation of individual consumer purchases. To gain better insights into the process, micro-level analysis of consumer behavior, either with household-level disaggregate data or by laboratory experiment, is warranted to understand the underlying behavior that is responsible for macro-level phenomena. Recent advance in information technology allows collection of such individual data with ease through a POS system and over internet. Currently, managers are not sure how to make better use of ever increasing amount of data for strategic purposes, and research needs for individual-level modeling is growing rapidly. Taking advantage of the size of disaggregate data, my research focuses on nonparametric statistical methods and micro-level simulations.
Articles - In English
- Abe, M. and M. Kaneko (2020), “Analytical Framework for Construal Level Theory that Incorporates Discounting,” Advances in Consumer Research, 48, 11-15.
- K. Yamaguchi and M. Abe (2016), “Analyzing Antecedent Factors of Cognitive Dissonance using E-Commerce Data,” Advances in Consumer Research, 44, 369-374.
- S. Nagano, Y. Ichikawa, N. Takaya, T. Uchiyama and M. Abe (2013), “Nonparametric Hierarchal Bayesian Modeling in Non-contractual Heterogeneous Survival Data,” The 19th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Proceedings (KDD 13).
- Abe, M. (2013), “Preference Reversal: Perspective from Generalized Construal Level Theory,” Conference Proceedings, International Conference on Business Economics, and Information Technology, Australia, March 19, 2013.
- Ban, M., N. Terui and M. Abe (2011), “A Brand Choice Model for TV Advertising Management using Single-Source Data,” Marketing Letters, 22(4), 373-389.
- Katsumata, S. and M. Abe (2010), “Incorporating Spatial Prior Information into a Time-Series Model of Consumer Spending and Store Visit,” Proceeding to the International Workshop on Bayesian Statistics and Marketing, 352-377, September 2010.
- Abe, M. (2010), “RFM Measures and Customer Lifetime Value: Investigating the Behavioral Relationship in a Non-Contractual Setting,” Proceeding to the International Workshop on Bayesian Statistics and Marketing, 153-195, September 2010.
- Ban, M., N. Terui and M. Abe (2010), “A Brand Choice Model for TV Advertising Management using Single-Source Data,” Proceeding to the International Workshop on Bayesian Statistics and Marketing, 66-85, September 2010.
- Abe, M. (2009), ““Counting Your Customers” One by One: A Hierarchical Bayes Extension to the Pareto/NBD Model,” Marketing Science, 28(3), 541-553.
- Abe, M. (2005), “A Prediction Model for Web Page Transition,” International Journal of Electronic Business, 3(4), 378-391.
- Abe, M., Y. Boztug and L. Hildebrandt (2004), “Investigating the Competitive Assumption of Multinomial Logit Models of Brand Choice by Nonparametric Modeling,” Computational Statistics, 19(4), 635-657.
- Abe, M. (1999), “A Generalized Additive Model for Discrete-Choice Data,” Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 17 (3), 271-284.
- Abe, M. (1998), “Error Structure and Identification Condition in Maximum Likelihood Multidimensional Scaling,” European Journal of Operational Research, 111(2), 216-227.
- Abe, M. (1998), “Measuring Consumer, Nonlinear Brand Choice Response to Price,” Journal of Retailing, 74 (4), 541-568.
- Abe, M. (1997), “Playing Marketing: 2P and 5P of Marketing?” JIMS Journal of Marketing Science, 6 (2), 32-44.
- Abe, M. (1997), “A New Era of Private Brands in Japan: Opportunities and Challenges for Foreign Retailers and Manufacturers,” Journal of Asian Business, 13 (4), 21-38.
- Abe, M. (1997), “A Household-Level TV Advertising Exposure Model,” Journal of Marketing Research, 34 (3), 394-405.
- Ben-Akiva, M., D. McFadden, M. Abe, and et al. (1997), “Modeling Methods for Discrete Choice Analysis,” Marketing Letters, 8 (3), 273-286.
- Abe, M. (1996), “Audience Accumulation by Television Daypart Allocation Based on Household-Level Viewing Data,” Journal of Advertising, 25(4), 21-35.
- Abe, M. (1995), “A Nonparametric Density Estimation Method for Brand Choice Using Scanner Data,” Marketing Science, 14 (3), 417-428.
- Abe, M. (1995), “Price and Advertising Strategy of a National Brand Against Its Private-Label Clone,” Journal of Business Research, 33 (3), 241-250.
- Abe, M. (1991), “A Moving Ellipsoid Method for Nonparametric Regression and its Application to Logit Diagnostics Using Scanner Data,” Journal of Marketing Research, 28 (3), 339-346.
Books and Monographs
- “Behavioral Economics,” edited by Makoto Abe, Shinsei Publishing, 2021 (in Japanese)
- “The Tricks of Effective Marketing Tactics,” KADOKAWA, 2019 (in Japanese)
- “Marketing Response Models: Econometric and Time Series Analysis (Second Edition)” by Hanssens, Parsons, and Schultz, (translated in Japanese by Makoto Abe and Keiko Powers), Yuhikaku, 2018.
- “[Korean Edition] Learn 4 Years Worth of Marketing Taught at University in Just 10 Hours,” 2018 (in Korean)
- “[Schematic Edition] Learn 4 Years Worth of Marketing Taught at University in Just 10 Hours,” KADOKAWA, 2018 (in Japanese)
- “Learn 4 Years Worth of Marketing Taught at University in Just 10 Hours,” KADOKAWA, 2017 (in Japanese)
- “From Little’s Law to Marketing Science: Essays in Honor of John D. C. Little,” (Chapter 5 (p.127-169)), edited by John R. Hauser and Glen L. Urban, MIT Press, 2016
- “[New Edition] Introduction to Marketing Science: Market-Based Scientific Management,” Yuhikaku, 2011 (with I. Furukawa and T. Moriguchi in Japanese)
- “Innovation and Change in Japanese Management,” (Introduction chapter), edited by Parissa Haghirian, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010
- “Statistical Data Science Dictionary,” Asakura Shoten, 2007 (edited by K. Sugiyama in Japanese)
- “Science of Web Marketing: Research and Network,” Chapter 5, Chikura Shobo, 2007 (edited by A. Inoue and the Japan Institute of Marketing Science, in Japanese)
- “Science of Marketing－Analysis of POS Data,” Asakura Shoten, 2005 (with F. Kondo in Japanese)
- “Research Mind－Research Method in Management,” Yuhikaku, 2005 (with T. Fujimoto, N. Takahashi, J. Shintaku, and M. Kasuya in Japanese)
- “Pricing Science－Exploit the Mystery of Price,” Chapter 6, Doubunkan, 2005 (edited by Z. Sugita, T. Ueda, and T. Moriguchi in Japanese)
- “Marketing Communication Dictionary,” Senden Kaigi Inc., 2005 (edited by M. Shimaguchi in Japanese)
- “Monozukuri Management Lecture using 170 keywords,” Nikkei Business Press, 2005 (edited by N. Takahashi in Japanese)
- “Basic Marketing Dictionary,” Hakuto-shobo, 2004 (edited by M. Deushi, in Japanese)
- “Beyond Customer Orientation: Lessons from Managers Who Are A Step Ahead of Customers,” Toyo Keizai Shimpo-sha, 2003 (with H. Katahira and I. Furukawa, in Japanese)
- “Introduction to Marketing Science: Market-Based Scientific Management,” Yuhikaku, 2003 (with I. Furukawa and T. Moriguchi in Japanese)
- “Advertising in Japan,” in Advertising Worldwide: Advertising conditions in Selected countries (ISBN 3-540-67713-5), Ingomar Kloss ed., Heidelberg: Springer, 2001
Other Professional Activities and Awards
Other Professional Activities and Services
- President: Japan Insutitute of Marketing Science (JIMS) (2021~)
- Editor: JIMS Journal of Marketing Science (2010~2018)
- Editorial Board: Annals of Business Administrative Science
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising
- Editorial Board: Asia Marketing Journal
- Top Marketing Scholar in Asia-Pacific Universities 2003
(ref.) “Publications in Major Marketing Journals: An Analysis of Research Productivity of Asia-Pacific Universities,” Cheng Louis T. W., Chan Kam C. and Chan Ricky Y. K., Journal of Marketing Education, 25(2), 163-176, August 2003