Name / Position
IIZUKA, Toshiaki / Professor
*Please replace [at] with@
|2001||PhD, University of California, Los Angeles (Economics)|
|1996||MA, Columbia University (International Affairs)|
|1989||ME, The University of Tokyo (Aeronautical Engineering)|
|1987||BE, The University of Tokyo (Aeronautical Engineering)|
|2020-||Health Economics (Associate Editor)|
|2019-||Journal of Health Economics (Associate Editor)|
|2016-2018||The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Public Policy (Dean)|
|2010-||The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Public Policy (Professor)|
|2010-||The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Economics (Professor)|
|2009-2010||Keio University, Graduate School of Economics (Professor)|
|2005-2009||Aoyama Gakuin University, Graduate School of International Management (Associate Professor, Professor)|
|2001-2005||Vanderbilt University (Assistant Professor)|
|1989-1994||Corporate Directions Inc. (Consultant)|
Health Economics, Empirical Industrial Organization
Toshi’s research interests are in the field of health economics and industrial organization. He has written articles on incentive and information in the health care markets, which appeared in leading economics journals, including American Economic Review, RAND Journal of Economics, and Journal of Health Economics.
- “Is Zero a Special Price? Evidence from Child Healthcare” (with H. Shigeoka), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, accepted.
- “Asymmetric Demand Response when Prices Increase and Decrease: The Case of Child Healthcare” (with H. Shigeoka), Review of Economics and Statistics, accepted.
- “False Alarm? Estimating the Marginal Value of Health Signals” (with K. Nishiyama, BK Chen, K Eggleston), Journal of Public Economics, 2021, Vol. 195, 104368.
- “Association of the National Health Guidance Intervention for Obesity and Cardiovascular Risks With Health Outcomes Among Japanese Men” (with S. Fukuma, T. Ikenoue, Y. Tsugawa) JAMA Intern. Med., 2020. 180(12):1630-1637.
- “Are quality-adjusted medical prices declining for chronic disease? Evidence from diabetes care in four health systems”, (with K. Eggleston, B. Chen, et al.) European Journal of Health Economics, 2020. 21: 689-702.
- “Promoting Innovation in Small Markets: Evidence from the Market for Rare and Intractable Diseases” (with Gyo Uchida), Journal of Health Economics, 2017, 54: 56-65.
- “Avoidable Hospital Admissions From Diabetes Complications In Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, And Communities Outside Beijing” (with Jianchao Quan and others ), Health Affairs, 2017, 36(11): 1896-1903.
- “Patient Cost Sharing and Medical Expenditures for the Elderly” (with K. Fukushima, S. Mizuoka, and S. Yamamoto), Journal of Health Economics, 2016, 45: 115-130.
- “The Impact of Physician Supply on the Healthcare System: Evidence from Japan’s New Residency Program,” (with Y. Watanabe), Health Economics, 2016, 25(11): 1433-1447.
- “Cartel sustainability in retail markets: Evidence from a health service sector” (with Ujo Goto), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2016, 49:36-58.
- “Durable Goods Price Cycles: Theory and Evidence from the Textbook Market” (with Rick Bond), Economic Inquiry, 2014, 52(2)：518-538
- “Markets with Physician Dispensing,” Encyclopedia of Health Economics, Tony Culyer ed., 2014, Elsevier.
- “Does Higher Malpractice Pressure Deter Medical Errors?” Journal of Law and Economics, 2013, 56(1): 161-188
- “Physician Agency and Adoption of Generic Pharmaceuticals,” American Economic Review, 2012, 102(6): 2826-2858
- “The Japanese Generic Drug Market: Will it finally Take-off?” (with K. Kubo), Health Economics, Policy, and Law, 6(3), 2011, pp. 369-389
- “Generic Entry in a Regulated Pharmaceutical Market,” Japanese Economic Review, 60(1), 2009, pp. 63-81
- “The Economics of Pharmaceutical Pricing and Physician Prescribing in Japan,” in Prescribing Cultures and Pharmaceutical Policy in the Asia Pacific, K. Eggleston, ed., Brooking Press, 2009
- “Experts’ Agency Problems: Evidence from the Prescription Drug Market in Japan,” RAND Journal of Economics, 38(3), 2007, pp. 844-862
- “Direct to Consumer Advertising and Prescription Choice,” (with Ginger Zhe Jin), Journal of Industrial Economics, 55(4), 2007, pp. 771-771
- “An Empirical Analysis of Planned Obsolescence,” Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 16(1), 2007, pp. 191-226
- “The Effect of Prescription Drug Advertising on Doctor Visits,” (with Ginger Zhe Jin), Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, 14(3), 2005, pp.701-727
- “What Explains the Use of Direct to Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs?” Journal of Industrial Economics, 52(3), 2004, pp. 349-379
Other Professional Activities and Awards
Other Professional Activities and Services
- Associate Editor, Journal of Health Economics
- Associate Editor, Health Economics